On January 21, 2020, Pope Francis appointed Fr Dominique-Marie David as Archbishop of the Principality of Monaco.
January 21, is the Feast of Saint Agnes, when the lambs are blessed and whose wool are used to make the Archbishops’ pallium. What a blessed day to receive this great joy!
Mgr David said in an interview with KTO, his Bishops’s slogan is: “We know and rely on the love God has for us” (1John 4: 16).
The Consecration of Mgr David will take place on Sunday, March 8, 2020 at
3.30pm in the Cathedral of Notre-Dame-Imamaculée in Monaco.
Let us entrust him, his new mission and the Diocese to Mary, our Mother and to Christ, the Emmanuel-God with us!
Below, is the press release of the Bishops Conference of France
(translated from French)
Paris, January 21, 2020
MGR DOMINIQUE-MARIE DAVID APPOINTED ARCHBISHOP OF MONACO
Today, Pope Francis appointed the Most Reverend Dominique-Marie DAVID as Archbishop of Monaco after accepting the resignation, for reasons of age, of Most Reverend Bernard BARSI. Mgr DAVID was until now a member of the formation team of the Inter-diocesan Seminary of St. Jean de Nantes (France).
Ordained priest on June 29, 1991 for the Diocese of Nantes as a member of the Emmanuel Community, Bishop Dominique-Marie DAVID was vicar at the Parish of Sautron in the Diocese of Nantes (1991-1995). In-charge for the Liturgy service of the Emmanuel Community (1995-2001); in-charge for the Maison Saint-Martin in Paris for the formation of seminarians of the Emmanuel Community (1997-2001). Between 2001 and 2002, Mgr DAVID was administrator of the Parish of Saint-Similien in Nantes and then appointed Parish priest of the Parish of Sainte Madeleine in Nantes, which is entrusted to the Emmanuel Community, a function he held between 2002 and 2009. In 2009, he became Head for the Ordained ministers and seminarians of the Emmanuel Community. From 2016 to 2019, Mgr DAVID was Rector of the Church of Trinità dei Monti in Rome, entrusted to the Emmanuel Community.
Finally, since September 1, 2019, he was a member of the formation team of the Inter-diocesan Seminary of St. Jean de Nantes (France).
The Ordination as Bishop of Mgr DAVID will take place on Sunday, March 8, 2020 at 3.30 p.m. in the Cathedral of Notre-Dame-Immaculée in Monaco.
Mgr Bernard BARSI will meet the press today, Tuesday January 21, at 2.30 pm at the Agora Diocesan House, 13 rue Bel Respiro in Monaco.
Below you will find the biography of Bishop Dominique-Marie DAVID.
Press relations :
Diocèse de Monaco : M. Ferxel Fourgon +377 99 99 16 17
Diocèse de Nantes : Mme Isabelle Nagard +33 6 60 06 00 47
Communauté de l’Emmanuel : M. Louis-Étienne de Labarthe +33 6 37 17 80 90
Bishop Dominique-Marie DAVID, Archbishop of Monaco
Born September 21, 1963 in Beaupréau (Maine et Loire)
Ordained priest on June 29, 1991 for the Diocese of Nantes as a member of the Emmanuel Community.
- Faculty of Theology of l’Université Catholique de l’Ouest (Angers, France);
- Séminaire interdiocésain Saint-Paul de Louvain-la-Neuve (Belgium);
- Licentiate in English Philology at the Université Catholique de l’Ouest (Angers, France) ;
- Canonical Bachelor’s degree in Theology at the at the Université Catholique de l’Ouest (Angers, France) ;
- 1991-1995: Vicar in the Parish of Sautron (Diocese of Nantes, France) ;
- 1995-2001: In-charge of the Liturgy service of the Emmanuel Community;
- 1997-2001: In-charge of the formation of the seminarians of the Emmanuel Community at the Maison Saint-Martin in Paris; France
- 2001-2002: Administrator of the Saint-Similien Parish in Nantes; France
- 2002-2009: Parish Priest of Sainte Madeleine Parish in Nantes (France), entrusted to the Emmanuel Community;
- 2009-2016: Head of Ordained ministers and seminarians of the Emmanuel Community;
- 2016-2019 : Rector of the Church of the Trinità dei Monti in Rome, entrusted to the Emmanuel Community;
- Since 2019: Member of the formation team of the Séminaire interdiocésain Saint Jean de Nantes (France)